When Might You Need to Recolor an Icon?
- many of you use the icons on dark backgrounds and want to make them pure black
- some of you use icons as a logo and want to add some color for branding
Step 1. Getting Adobe Illustrator (for free)
Simply go to the Adobe website and download it. There is 14-day free trial, which serves our needs.
If you want to change the color of the icons after 14 days, you could either:
- pay $50 for a month of use
- install Adobe Illustrator on another computer and get another 14-day trial
Step 2. Getting the icons
By this point, you should have some vector icons to work with. Well, we sell the vector icons for a fee. Occasionally, we distribute some vectors free and give away the link on our twitter. Follow us.
If you just want to get right to work, download this sample with few icons about love. Yes, we love our readers:
Step 3. Opening the file and finding the icon
Now that you have a vector file (usually with an AI or EPS extension), you could open it with File -> Open… dialog. Now you should have a window like this:
It could take a while to find the icon you need. Use the scrollbars.
Finally, zoom in on the icon you need, press Cmd+ ( Ctrl++ in Windows) few times to enlarge it:
Step 4. Selecting
Now when you have the icon you like on screen, select it. Make sure you have the select tool chosen. It’s in top left corner:
Now drag cursor around the icon and release the cursor.
Make sure every part of the icon is selected.
Step 5. Inverting color
Alternative step 5: if you want a different color
Go to Edit -> Edit colors -> Color the illustration. Here is my Illustrator screen (sorry, it’s in Spanish because I’m learning Spanish):
In the dialog double click where indicated:
Now you can choose any color. I picked red. Don’t analyze me 🙂
All done. Click OK on all dialogs and enjoy your red icon:
Step 6: Saving the icon
Don’t let all your hard work go to waste. To save:
- Copy the selected icon to the clipboard: Cmd+C (Ctrl+C in Windows)
- Create a new document: menu File->New… or just press Cmd+N (Ctrl+N in Windows). Press OK in the next dialog: the defaults are fine.
- Export it with File -> Export… Again, the defaults are fine.
If you need a different size, scale the icon before saving.