As a UX designer, I’ve been homeless for 7 years.
With all my belongings coming in at a total of 15 kg (33 lbs), my suitcase is my only furniture. I’ve learned that while size is not important, weight is, and I learned it the hard way:
- Extra weight — it’s something you feel not only at checkout, but on every staircase. For example, decreasing my wife’s suitcase from 20 kg to 17 cured my back pain. Why would her suitcase affect me? She won’t be happy with what I’m about to say, but let’s face it, my wife is the size of a cat – she can’t carry 17 kg up a staircase. That’s where my back pain comes in.
- Smaller suitcases are a pain. If you also hate packing, you don’t want the extra drama that a smaller suitcase provides. I remember jogging through Geneva with a half-open suitcase. Jogging, because I was late for the train. Half-open, cause I didn’t have time to close it.
Bad: the lightest Samsonite for EUR 260
Good: soft shell Samsonite for GBP 96
Good: toiletry bags
Good: hanging organizer for underwear
Good: document wallet
They wrinkle shirts, requiring them to be ironed, and they’re heavy. I’m waiting for some light-weight material to appear for the hard part. Maybe those feather-light tiles they use for Airbus’ floors…
They wrinkle everything and it’s extra work. Instead, throw the extra shit out.
Multi-port USB chargers are simply awesome.
Battery packs are heavy, hold little charge, and don’t age well. Sometimes it’s worth replacing your iPhone’s battery (less than $9 on Ebay and comes with tools).
Universal adapters are bulky and heavy. If you work in a coffee shop, you have to carry it everywhere.
Good: short cables
Bad: long cables with a roll
Bad: any long cables
Rolling mechanisms are simply too heavy.
Good: small battery trimmer.
Bad: anything big and expensive
Good: trimmers with the smallest charger.
Bad: trimmers with a cable
While a multimeter is something you can’t have, the research is still out on these:
- Bluetooth headphones with noise reduction?
- A global data SIM so I don’t have to think about my quota?
- A pocket Wi-Fi (Mi-Fi) model? Instead of consuming a data plan all the time it should connect to free wifi networks automatically.
- A smart VPN for only certain websites? Your online bank maybe? Google, but only in China?
About the Author
Ivan Boyko is a founder of Icons8. He got his first job after drawing a banner with CTR of 43%. After years of creating icons, he specializes in rapid prototyping and backlog grooming.