Where are the best places to sell icons? Well, to be honest, there are plenty of them! Read on, and you’ll be able to sell your artwork on marketplaces (we’ll also take a look at top-rated stock marketplaces), as well as on your own website! Let’s dot those i’s and cross those t’s.
Top Marketplaces for Icons
We keep an eye on all of the marketplaces, but we would highly recommend any of these:
- IconFinder — you get 70%.
- Noun Project — you get $1.20 for each icon sold individually, 40% from subscriptions.
- Graphic River — you prepare an icon pack and they set the price, somewhere around $7-12. The pricing structure is uncertain and depends on whether you decide to sell exclusively with them or somewhere else, too (or if you get caught). From their examples you get $37-60 from a $100 sale.
- CreativeMarket — you define the price; you get 70% from each sale.
- Canva — unlike all the services above where you buy only an icon file, Canva is a graphic editor that allows your icons to be embedded. To use a single icon in a single artwork costs $1 (so you get 30 cents). A single icon for an unlimited number of artwork is $10. You get 30% from each sale.
- Your store. No matter how you sell your icons we suggest opening your own store.
Opening Your Store
However, that’s not always the case:
So, go ahead and open your own store and make sure it appears first in Google by searching by your name or the name of your icon pack. That shouldn’t be difficult:
What Resellers Don’t Focus On
Selling independently, you can provide the best possible experience to your clients. Resellers care about selling more and charging you more fees. They work on the tools for:
- Resellers focus on uploading icons
- Resellers focus on navigation in their catalog: search, browsing, etc.
- Resellers focus on selling icons
Instead, we like speaking to our customers, designers, and developers, asking them about their challenges and providing tools to solve their problems.
- We care about our icons being pixel perfect — resellers don’t care
- We care about generating all the formats our users need — resellers don’t care
- We care about our icons looking great in various sizes, providing responsive icons
About the Author
Ivan Boyko is a founder of Icons8. He got his first job after drawing a banner with CTR of 43%. After years of creating icons, he specializes in rapid prototyping and backlog grooming.